Update 2018-01-04: We have a winner! Euchre Mutt solved the puzzle today. The puzzle remained unsolved for a whopping 134 days … a site record! … which means he is awarded 134 points on the Leaderboard. Euchre already had the number one spot by solving previous challenges. With the win new, it’s going to be VERY HARD to catch up to him! View the solution here.
Here’s Challenge #3 for August 23, 2017.
A SIMPLE CALCULATION
With this cipher, I hope to add a new encryption method to the playbook. If you formulate the correct hypothesis, you just might take away the prize.*
- It’s a substitution cipher.
- The ciphertext is 102 characters. The plaintext solution is 34 characters.
- What is 102 divided by 34, and what does that tell you?
- The plaintext solution is a quote from a famous mathematician.
The ciphertext is:
LCFBPDLED HCJJKAHFF TSNIGANRK GMBHJMQCO XETSSRVLZ CFDZOWVLP JJKFSRPCK BXFIVPWJO RSLYNXFSD HRHAOKQQK IJAEPFBUI QPZ
With CodeAWeek.com, I hope to release one cipher, puzzle, or mystery every Wednesday evening. Anyone can attempt to solve. The winner is the first person to send a correct solution and a description of the solve method to email@example.com. Once a correct solution is e-mailed, I will publish a follow-up post, congratulating the winner and revealing the secrets of the code.
You may post questions or theories in the comments, but DO NOT POST SOLUTIONS. E-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* “Prize” being figurative. Right now the only prize is the thrill of the solve and your name in the Code A Week record books.